Sunday, December 25, 2016

Season's Greetings

Although it has been better in recent years, Christmas still opens up a lot of small wounds. I can't skip it, with the way the split family with my kids works. They've been brought up with the traditions, and would probably be upset if I skipped it. I have poured work into it, this year. I was doing well. The day is here, now, though, and it's eating me alive.

I know what I don't have. I can't erase the knowledge.

And another year is wrapping up, with a week to go. The randomness of the new year date doesn't seem to matter. I want each year to start over, with promise of renewal and potential. I know, rationally, that it's just a continuation of what has been going on. I know that there's no significant change due on the day of. As we were unafraid of the end of the world on January 1, 2000, I know that January 1, 2017 won't bring salvation.

With weather like this, it only hammers home the point.

May your day be better than mine.

(I'm going with the true neutral "Season's Greetings" to be Switzerland in the War on Christmas. :P )

No comments:

Post a Comment