Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Falling Sensation

And then, one day comes along, and it all screeches back to a halt. The light that filled up your own, inner sky is gone. There are no stars, and all is covered with stormy clouds. There's not even lightning. It's just a damp, cold rain falling all over you in blackness. So you get out a flashlight. It works for a bit, as you aim it at short, funny videos, a new flavor of bourbon, or favorite songs. The battery is going out, though. It flickers and sputters out, again. Into a damp, dark abyss you go.

Sometimes, you're lucky, and you don't hit a solid bottom. You merely fall. Eventually, you become accustomed to the sensation. It's expected, routine, and humdrum. You just wait until you turn around and feel like you're falling up, when the sunrise finally comes. Maybe you even see a seagull in the distance, denoting all other life has not died and left you isolated.

Occasionally, though, you hit a big, pointy rock. And it hurts. It brings out all the failures and regrets you thought you managed to seal in a giant pit with a Devil's Trap over it. Those demon voices slip through, though, and it just hurts all over.

I'm just falling, right now. I have a few days of this to go, as it has always been in a cycle I just never paid attention to, before a few years ago. I don't believe there are any rocks to hit, this time. I'll adjust. I'll manage. I always do. Whether I really want to, or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment