Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Clutter

A while ago, I read a few articles that explained that I am not odd in that it is hard for me to "declutter." It seems that living simply really is for people who have disposable income. I can't just throw everything away and hope I have money, should I need to repair or replace parts of what I have. I keep things around for parts, or for backup to the better things I usually use.

I've got bags of clothes from the older child waiting for the younger one to grow into them. I have artsy-craftsy supplies in bits and pieces. I have cords, boxes, thick plastic bags that comforter sets come in, filled with orphaned pillowcases and sheets, towels, and every blanket that is still usable. There are shoes and boots I don't get to wear much. There are remnants of other years' school supplies. I have CDs, cassettes, and VHS tapes. I have a crate of vinyl. I have toothbrushes and sample-size toothpaste and bottles of shampoo and mouth rinses. I have old brushes, combs, bits of clothing that was unusable, for rags. I have mismatched dishes and ceramic sets that I don't use because I'd rather just not break dishes. I have a bunch of cups, mugs, and glasses I don't even use. I have two sets of brooms and dustpans - one set was given to me, and I just can't seem to just get rid of either, because they're still usable. I have jewelry I never wear. I have nine watches, which only two work. I have an espresso machine, a coffeemaker, a tiny French press, a single-cup funnel made to sit on a mug. I have a reusable filter. I have an old part from the larger French press, though I was given another that isn't frayed and works, I kept the old one. I have two cases of books I've already read a few times, but won't read again. I have photos in boxes that probably shouldn't remain in my possession. I have board games that require more people than I'll get to come over. I've got floppy disks and CD-Roms. I have binders and folders of journals and other writing. Well, what survived of my purges. I have the broken 3-in-one printer thing, two old phones, a broken router, and a broken computer under a desk.

Like that paragraph, most of these things could probably be wheedled down to almost nothing. I just can't bring myself to believe I won't want or need these things at some point. But let me tell you, if I won one of those super duper mega lotteries, I'd probably keep the bare minimum of things that can't be replaced, and start over again. The urge to purge it all is strong, but then I fight through every single item, convinced I can't throw it away.

This is something that you learn along the way. Being stranded without something that could have been useful, and now you have to spend money you don't really have, or limp along without a crucial item (say, a printer) for long periods of time will do this. I really need to do something about that closet, though.

This is just the half I can see.

http://imgur.com/jXPLkzN

I suppose this will be my next project, around the house. I'm going to have to be far more strict about what I let myself keep. Job stability means I don't need most of that crap. Donation time for some of it, and trash for the stuff that I wouldn't even give away! I can do this, right? Maybe. It's still hard to believe this is so difficult that I would post about it. In time, I'll work through this, as well as I have the mental clutter I've cut through. It's just stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment