Monday, September 12, 2016

Things I Like

When sleep finally reaches me, it seems to hold on for ages. It is my second best friend. Music is my first best friend, in case you wondered why that "second" is there. I'm in another holding pattern. A treadmill, hamster wheel, knowing I'm not going anywhere, but going faster and faster, wearing myself out faster and faster. Finding that age is starting to hit me, and I can't seem to keep up with the things I used to do. I'm not that old, and there are older women than me running circles around me.

I found out that there are people who can't form pictures in their head, and I've actually been cherishing each picture that comes up onto the backs of my eyelids. I do not have a perfect photographic memory. I have a photographic imagination, though. Movies play out in my head, and I'm so glad I had this to hold on to. I relied on that imagination throughout the hard years.

Nowadays, though, I can't seem to write what I see. I used to have so much to tell about the worlds that swam up in my head and showed their treasures to me. Sometimes horrors. Either way, I adore this part of my experience of life. I appreciate it more, knowing that it wasn't a given in my life. Some people don't picture anything at all.

Well, I'm off to the land of sleep, again. I get to stay up a bit later than usual, because I don't need to get up until 7 a.m. tomorrow. I still live a different schedule than most people, even though I'm not working nights. Oh well, sleep is welcome for as long as it will grace me with its presence. These bursts of rest are another treasure. Maybe my two favorites will combine. Or maybe all three. I could dream while sleeping, in living, vivid picture details a concert. Music, sleep, and imagination. Let it all come at once. Give me something to hold on to.

I have a concert to go to in a week. Morrissey in Louisville. It is something I am looking forward to. Only a week to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment