Sunday, October 30, 2016

Last Travel of the Year

Well, there is a new band that I will never miss live as long as they hit somewhere I can drive. Marillion are even better in concert than in the studio. The videos don't do their performances justice.

This show was a completely different sort than any I've been to. Steve Hogarth is a great frontman. The audience is a bit older than even my older favorites. As he is called "H" I may as well go with that. H encouraged everyone to sit, because none of us are getting any younger. Which was the opposite of Ronan Harris, on Sunday, telling us to keep moving, no matter how old we thought we felt. I laughed pretty hard at that difference. Opposite genres bookending the week. We sat except to cheer at the end of songs. Which was difficult for me. I suppose I could have joined the people on the edge who were standing and dancing, but I didn't want to lose the view I had. I just bounced where I sat.

The guy next to me was a talker. I wasn't feeling overly talkative. I divulged this would be my only Marillion show because I pretty much spent all my money on The Cure over the summer. Yeah, I did have a little leftover for Morrissey, VNV, and Marillion. It's been a very good year for live shows.

Marillion started with "The Invisible Man" and moved into "Power" which satisfied me greatly. Wonderful performances of wonderful songs. A huge chunk went to the new album - which was opposite all the other shows, since no one else had a new album out this year to promote. (Though The Cure did debut two unreleased songs this year.) The guy behind me was lamenting the setlist, because apparently it was cut shorter than other shows. Had he not said that, I wouldn't have been any wiser, since I have not followed the setlists the way I do with The Cure (also NIN when they tour.) I guess other fandoms have issues with setlists, too, after all. Not just Cure fans.

"Afraid of Sunlight" and "Sugar Mice" topped my list of favorites, aside of the first two songs. I'm glad I heard the a lot of FEAR live, too, because I know in time, it'll be etched into my brain as classic. Right now it's settling in. I find things in it I didn't hear the first dozen listens. This is something The Fragile did, too. Layers and layers that I'll need time to process. And like The Fragile, I guarantee it'll end up in my top album list, in time. I like it well enough as is, but it is too dense to take in immediately.

The trip was quicker than I thought it would be. Apparently going to Northfield is easier than navigating downtown Cleveland, for me. Plus the Rocksino had lots of free parking. I'll take that any day over paid lots or finding a gentrified area to park in. The trip home was easy until  I got to the bridge that connects 75 and 71. I am sure it was less than 2 minutes, maybe even less than 1 minute that two fast cars who were ignoring lanes all along crashed into each other. Three cars in front of me came to a halt out of nowhere. Some pulled over, got out and began attending people. The car in front of me and I decided to drive on. I still saw a woman in the face turned facing us. I haven't heard, but if she lived, it'll be her little miracle. The image is stuck in my head.

I started to panic, so I had to get out, once I knew other people were on top of the accident. As tired and inexperienced as I am, I would have been no help. I didn't see anything that happened, anyway.

Please, people, remember these things are lethal weapons. Please don't add to the number on the Artimis signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment