Saturday, July 8, 2017

On My Personal Tastes

 When I was writing for real, my themes reflected a lot of the horrible parts of life. I dwelled on those facets because there is something in me that feels like it needs to be kept in the light, not hidden away. Nothing written was an endorsement of those things. They were just the things that obsessed me. When I view media, this is the angle I'm coming from. I don't want to see "how things SHOULD be." I want to see an exaggeration and creative roll about how they are and where we are headed. I get that there are plenty of people out there who want to see things only as they should be. I guess that's what gives them the power to go on.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people that was forged in fire, and only feel alive when the fire is raging on. And I get more of a thrill from exploring a world where the bad is exposed, but I have to admit I only seem to like them when there is a good resolution. "Let the Right One in" might be a good example. *SPOILER* (I've never seen the American remake, by the way.) The ending doesn't favor humans, or even the fate of the boy. Somehow, there is something about watching him run away with her that is cathartic, though.

Some people can manage to avoid things like this, and feel upset when confronted by media that takes a look at the terrible side of humanity and life. I'm just not one of those people. In the end, it keeps me fueled for the fight to make things better in the real world. I'm not sure what that says about me. I'm also one of those people who feels better after listening to darker music when I'm already down. I'm sure there's something out there to explain this. I don't worry about that, now.

Everyone draws their lifeforce from something. I've found mine. Others find their own. I find it very condescending and belittling to be lectured about what I watch, read or listen to, at this point in my life. I've got it, but thanks anyway.

Addendum: After posting this, I realized I've had to make this statement repeatedly since 1989. Sheesh. Yeah, I'm kinda over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment