Friday, July 7, 2017

On My "Bubble"

There are so many things going on in the world, and there is so much to look at. The links, the videos, the opinions of millions. It's like all of the second-hand shops of the world have been opened, and I'm wading through lots and lots of damaged, ill-fitting, outdated, or disgusting stuff to find the treasured velvet jacket that comes along, once in a  great while. Since there is so much out there, there are lots of gems, too. Wading through all of the chaff to find the wheat can overwhelm me, sometimes.

Each person says something, and I have to use a lot of experience to decide whether to spend time thinking on it, or not. When I find someone that shines, it can make me feel less alone, better informed, and that I have bettered myself. As time feels like it is speeding out of control, I'm glad to have this magical land of social media. Despite all the terrible parts of it, the good still outweighs the bad. It has definitely been helping me through this trying time of pain and healing.

I fill up my feeds with the things that matter to me. The best part is that everyone else can fill up their feeds with the things that matter to them. As I navigate through a community of brick-and-mortar life, and find myself isolated in my tastes, loves, fears, and fights, this world has brought the people who build me up against that onslaught of negativity.

If I choose not to interact with someone, it isn't because I'm burying my head in the sand. It's because I've already spent all day listening to those same words, and have decided my computer is the one place those things will not get to me. And I bet the people who criticize this method of dealing with the internet do the same thing. It's only when other people do it to them that it becomes a gripe.

I haven't created a complete echo chamber, because I don't live in a world where I can blot out the "other side" at all. I've created an oasis. Nothing more, and nothing less. Everyone else is free to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment